Wednesday, September 25, 2013

About Gardening: Oh Dear, It's Fall!

If you can't see this email, click here

About

Gardening

Vegetables & Fruits

Flowers

Pests & Problems



From Marie Iannotti, your Guide to Gardening

Even if the calendar didn't say so, I would know it was fall by the cool breezes that have blown in. I like working outdoors in the fall. There's still time to plant and harvest and there is plenty of cleaning up to do, before I put my garden to bed. You may not have the time to get your whole garden in order, but here are a handful of fall tasks for a better spring garden.

Gardening Tip of the Week

Quick Cold Frames: You can garden into winter by covering your raised beds with hoops made out of PVC and covered with plastic. I do this every fall and winter, works great in the south. --Submitted by Valentine

Thank you to everyone who has shared a tip. Keep them coming!

We're running out of days in September, so be sure to get your photos in for the September Photo Challenge - Garden Ornaments. Rustic, elegant or just plain whimsical, let's see them!

Connect With Marie:
Twitter | Facebook | Google+ | Gardening Forum | Newsletter

Storing Your Harvest
When I see how lovely my squashes and root vegetables look all lined up, I find it hard to think about eating them. I get over it when I remember that they won't last forever. Here's some help to keep your harvest around long enough to enjoy it this winter.

Winter Waterlily Care
Water garden plants can be so undemanding, you may forget they need care at all. But most of us need to give them some extra protection in the winter. Hardy waterlilies need only minimal help handling the cold, but tropical varieties are in for a shock.
Search Related Topics:  water gardening  winter gardening  indoor gardening

Don't Forget the Shallots
I've grown garlic for decades, but I only recently started growing shallots. I think the high price tag in the grocery store made me think they were difficult to grow. They're not. You can plant them in fall or spring, so start looking from some bulbs to get into the ground now.
Search Related Topics:  shallots  onions  garlic

Over the Garden Gate
It's so nice to hear that gardening doesn't stop when summer ends. Neither do gardening questions. Join us Over the Garden Gate and pick up a few tips.

 


Related Searches
Featured Articles
How to Husk Black Walnuts
What is Plant Dormancy?
How Many Years do Daffodils Bloom?
Cutting Back Ornamental Grasses
Garden Plants as Houseplants

 

More from About.com

Run Your First 5K
Even couch potatoes can be ready for a 5K with just a couple months of training. Read more...>



Help! I'm Too Busy
Time and stress management tips to help you feel as though you have more time. Read more...>




This newsletter is written by:
Marie Iannotti
Gardening Guide
Email Me | My Blog | My Forum
 
Sign up for more free newsletters on your favorite topics
You are receiving this newsletter because you subscribed to the About.com Gardening newsletter. If you wish to change your email address or unsubscribe, please click here.

About.com respects your privacy: Our Privacy Policy

Contact Information:
1500 Broadway, 6th Floor
New York, NY, 10036

© 2013 About.com
 


Spring Charmers to Plant Now
Crocus
Siberian squill
Snowdrops
 
Follow me on:
Facebook Twitter

Advertisement

No comments:

Post a Comment